Enthusiasm is defined as “absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit; lively interest” (http://dictionary.reference.com) Why is enthusiasm so important when building a business? Why is it important in any aspect of life?
I like to compare most things to sports. As I watch professional athletes in their area of expertise, the best, most “valuable players” all have this key characteristic: enthusiasm. These pictures should help prove my point:
Need I say more? All of these successful professionals are definitely “absorbing or controlling possession of the mind [in their]…interest or pursuit.”
How does this apply to starting a new eCommerce Business? Here are a few questions I ask myself as I assess my enthusiasm level:
- Do I continually radiate enthusiasm? The very best in any profession realize that enthusiasm can be highly contagious; they look to spread it around at every opportunity. There’s no doubt about it, an enthusiastic approach to life will motivate and inspire those around you.
- Do I share a constant supply of optimism and encouragement? Winners believe they can do anything. Their energetic approach gets others around them believing they can do anything too.
- Do I radiate a sense of self-confidence? A winner’s quiet self-confidence reassures one and all that he or she is in total control of their future success.
- Do I focus on being friendly to others, making sure I treat them the way I’d like to be treated? I know, the golden rule, but it works. You’ll discover that when you continually treat others with dignity and respect, your relationship and success will flourish.
After seriously evaluating my current level of enthusiasm, here are some things I try to do to improve:
- Surround myself with positive people
- Speak with enthusiasm and optimism
- Strive to enjoy people and relationships
- Accentuate the positive things in everyone and everything I’m around
- Track progress, take notes, and set small goals I can achieve
Enthusiasm and mindset are so crucial. If we are always trying to improve these little aspects of our day to day routine, the “big successes” will come. As the saying goes – “Small Success leads to Big Success!” Here’s one more quote that talks about enthusiasm:
Every memorable act in the history of the world is a triumph of enthusiasm. Nothing great was ever achieved without it because it gives any challenge or any occupation, no matter how frightening or difficult, a new meaning. Without enthusiasm you are doomed to a life of mediocrity but with it you can accomplish miracles. – Og Mandino
What effects have you all seen when you have a positive and enthusiastic outlook?