Tuesday Tutorial: Selling Products on Craigslist – A Step by Step Guide

the power of craigslistAre you interested in making money online?

What money making methods are you using to see positive cash flow with your new online business?

Are you using Craigslist.org as one of the online money making solutions?

Craigslist is arguably one of the fastest ways to make money online as you’re starting an online business.  Not only can it break the ice and help you actually gain confidence that online commerce is real, but it’s FREE (for the most part).

Happy Tuesday Eve! This Tuesday Tutorial is coming a day early per the request of a few clients who want to get listing right away on Craigslist.

Here are some things to be aware of as you get started selling items on Craigslist:

All craigslist postings are free, except for:

1. Job posts in the San Francisco Bay Area. The fee for posting a job in the SF Bay Area is $75. This fee pays for one job in one category. (One job posted in two different categories would cost $150.)

2. Job posts in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Orange County, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Seattle, South Florida, and Washington DC. The fee for posting a job in these cities is $25. This fee pays for one job in one category. (One job posted in two different categories would cost $50.)

3. Brokered apartment rental listings in New York The fee for posting a brokered apartment rental in New York City is $10.

4. Erotic services posts on craigslist sites in the United States. The fee for posting ads in the erotic services category is $5.

Those $5 fees for #4 can really add up :)

There are limitations to what you can sell on Craigslist.  (you may want to review this before you attempt to sell your neighbors annoying dog)

A step by step guide to listing an item on Craigslist.org:

Step 1: Go to Craigslist.org.

Step 2: Select your state or country.

listing-products-on-craigslist

Step 3: Select the city that’s closest to where you live.

Sometimes, on this step, I may select a bigger city where more potential visitors will see my listing.  Just remember: test, test, test!

listing-products-on-craigslist-2

I may even list in a different surrounding area.  Just make sure you don’t list word for word the same content in two different areas – this is forbidden by Craigslist.  The main objective of Craigslist is to be a Local Classified Ad – so be careful when branching out.

Remember, the most effective way to sell on Craigslist is by being able to meet the potential buyer in person.

Step 4: Find the best category for your product.

One suggestion is to do a search for the type of product you plan to sell once you get to your state and city.   Keyword research will again come in handy here as you are trying to determine how to list your products.

how-to-list-products-on-craigslist-3

Since we’re talking about selling products on Craigslist, you’ll probably want to focus on the “For Sale” section in the center of the page:

selling-products-on-craigslist-4

Step 5: Be aware of the potential scams.

Scams can and WILL happen on Craigslist if you don’t follow the advice they give you.

At the top of the category page, you’ll see warning links like these:

tips-to-avoid-scams-on-craigslist-5

Make sure to read them over to avoid getting taken advantage of.  Here are the most important tips to avoid scams on Craigslist (in my opinion):

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON – follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service – anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer “buyer protection” or “seller certification”
* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL “GUARANTEE” YOUR TRANSACTION.

Step 6:  Click Post in the top right corner of the screen.

Now that you’re at the appropriate category page, the Post option will be at the top right corner:

posting-an-item-on-craigslist-6

Step 7: Create a Craigslist User Account.

login-or-create-a-craigslist-account-7

This isn’t a mandatory step but here’s why Craigslist recommends it:

What is my craigslist user account? Do I need one?

You can manage posts efficiently with a craigslist user account. The process of creating posts, editing and deleting them, and re-posting ads that have expired is much easier.

If you post frequently, or if you need to post paid ads, it makes sense to set up a user account.

Another question you might have:

How do I create a user account?
* Go to the account signup form.
* Enter your email address, type the five-letter verification word that appears on the screen, and click “create account”.
* We’ll send you an email with the instructions for completing the account setup process.

If you’re still reading this post, type a YES in the comments section below :)  If not, I need to shorten the Tutorials!

Step 8: Re-select your category and POST THE ITEM!

For time’s sake, I’m going to skip all the information about registering your account, getting the email, etc.  You’ll see a page that looks like this:

craigslist-category-page-8

Select the best category and proceed!

Step 9: Fill out the appropriate information.

The listing page will look like this:

listing-products-on-craigslist-9

The main things to remember on this step are:

1. Use a “keyword rich” Post Title.
  2. Post the price you’d like to sell the product for.
  3. Add a detailed description, preferably using bullet points so it’s easy to read.
  4. ADD IMAGES.  This is found right about the “Permissions” section where it says “Add/Edit Images”.  It will look like this when you click the button:
  5. adding-images-to-a-craigslist-listing-10

You have now listed your first item on Craigslist.org – Congratulations!

I’m excited to hear “Craiglist Success Stories!”

Please post your Craigslist experience in the comments section below!

craigslist photo courtesy of www.nevblog.com

Comments

1. says

I love Craigslist! Its funny that two out of three things that have ever hit the front page of Digg (by me) were articles about selling on Craigslist! Great tutorial here Nate. You readers should have success after reading this!

2. says

I literally sold a washer & dryer I had in 5 minutes on Craigslist! I hit post and I had 5 emails in a matter of minutes. They were sold to the very first person I talked to on the phone. However, I have had a few ideas go completely unnoticed.

If you don’t have a picture, you are killing the chances of getting a sale. Just from my own experience, I click on ads with pics first and then others from there. The right titles are the hooks for me. Finally, you have to give enough information in the ad itself.

• says

Thanks for the comment – I’m preparing to sell my 2000 Honda Accord on Craigslist tomorrow – hopefully my results are as quick and effective as yours.

Thanks for the tips and reminder about the importance of pictures on your listings (although the last car I sold on KSL.com didn’t have a picture – I was lazy :) )

Talk to you soon!

3. says

Nate, great tutorial. I think Craigslist can be a very effective tool to use as an online business whether you are a large, medium, or small size business. It can even be very successful as an individual as well. I have sold many things via Craigslist for my business including overstocked inventory, returns, etc. I also sold my car on craigslist in just a few short hours. Good post!

• says

Great link about how you sold your car on Craigslist! We’re in the process of selling our car on Craigslist right now too and will use your tips. Thanks for the comment!

4. Lilly and Paul says

We were very excited when we made our firt sale on Cragislist (for a lava lamp). We also learned to make sure verify meeting places and times before you meet up which we forgot to do our first time.

5. debra says

tHANKS FOR Craig’s List Tutorial. I’m signed in so I’ll go check it out now but I wanted to stay with you to the end. Good job.

Debra Stevenson
    Miami, Florida

6. Roz Kelley says

Nate,

Very nice and easy to follow tutorial. I posted items on Craiglist but didn’t sell anything, but I got a lots of inquiries. I will be re-posting them and more.

7. Jessica says

Thanks for letting me know about this sight. The tutorial is
    is easy to understand. I’m currently trying to put a post. Already thinking of new things to list.

8. Kathy Sanders says

Yes, I am still reading. I listed our two vacant rental properties and got a response on one within the first 50 minutes. Can’t wait to post my “for sale” items!

• Donald Young says

I CAN GET AS FAR AS POSTING AN ITEM . I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO ADD A PICTURE. I GET AS FAR AS PLUGGING IN MY CAMERA AND ALL MY PHOTOS COME UP WITH ALL PICTURES HAVING A CHECK MARK IN A BLOCK UNDER THEM FROM THEIR ON I NEED HELP. THANKS DON YOUNG IF YOU CAN HELP ME OVER THE PHONE MY NO. IS 610 442 2018

9. Katannya Cherniavsky says

Thanks for a very clear tutorial Nate.
    I posted some books individually with no results. I’ll now put several books together in a set and see if that results in a sale. Are larger items easier to sell?

10. Anita says

I do everything right, but when I gert to the ADD pics part, I cannot get the pic—which is on my LUMIX simple view screen –to move into the ad that I am trying to post. Should I put the pics in a diffrent folder or what? Please help, I am getting very frustrated with this.
    Thanks

• says

Hello Anita,

Sorry about the delayed response.

Most likely the problem is due to the size of your pictures.

You can attempt to resize pictures in a free program like Gimp.org.

Hope this helps.

Nate Moller

11. Alexis H. says

Thank you for providing this step by step guide to posting on Craigs list. It was a breeze. To early to tell if I will sell my items or not though.

12. Artemis says

Can please someone tell what form should the website in the add have? I copy and paste the website that I have created with Payspree but I cannot publish the add because it says that craiglist does not accept epsprosperity.

• Support says

Please expand on this question. By “posting ads” do you mean listing new products or something else? Look forward to helping you.

13. Nilda says

Hi Nate,

I love your tutorial and this is my 1st time postings ads EVER on Craigslist and so far it was working and I was getting responses to my ads. It was great!

However, I say was because now they deleted one of them and blocked my other ads and I cannot even posts any new ones and I don’t know what happened.

Can you please give my some insight on how to correct this problem. I am in desperate need of your help.

Thanks………….nm

14. Rhonda says

I did great ads but have not got any results in the 3 days since I have joined. I need this to work! Until I get employment, I need this to work. I have not been able to post my landing page in the ad text without trying to disguise it. For example e p s pro sperity hotline (DOT) com / rhondaconner1
    Enter whole above phrase with NO SPACES, a period for the “DOT”, and no w-s as address.
    epsprosperityhotline(DOT)com/rhondaconner1 If I enter my landing page address in normal, it is flagged or deleted. Please help. Thank you much!

Trackbacks